- The Bird and the
- I met this lovely lady...I don't think that she
- she's the last thing that I thought of as my
day drew to a close...
- last night and then this morning, her image
brushed my mind.
- And in between, the sweetest dream and memories
- In my dream, I think in Spring, we took a
- I've lived so much in Fall and Winter, I forgot
what Spring was like.
- We walked along a riverbed, my hand she held so
- And as we stopped to hear our hearts, we held
an uncommon sight.
- A fallen bird had broke its wing and lay in
- A Cheshire cat had picked it up to carry it
- The cat, itself was scared and hurt. It needed
help, I thought.
- It climbed a tree up to a nest and released the
bird it caught.
- I said at first, 'How could this be? A cat
would help a bird?'
- and then my lady turned to me and this is what
- "There are those who go through life and live
on other's pride.
- And then the other pays them back by casting
- And then there's those who are themselves
afflicted with the worst
- but put aside their own distress to help
- I pondered on these words of hers but still
could not believe
- a cat would rather help a bird than ignore its
plight and leave
- or maybe even take advantage and cause that
bird great harm.
- But once again I felt her hand. She noted my
- and told me 'I see you have a grave concern to
- It's not so hard to understand the bird in
- but for the cat who has a need as great or even
- to not only to help the bird but its instinct
- Expecting no return itself, its nature did
- Its instinct was destroyed, you see, by one who
caused it harm.'
- And so I finally understood the message told by
- to recognize the pain of those who now are
where you were.
- She said that she must leave me then but if I'd
say a prayer
- for all the people who need help to find the
way out there.
- And now if for a little while, those sweet
dreams could be real,
- and if she only knew the joy, the happiness I'd
- to live a life just like the dream so I could
hear the word
- where people find the way to love ...and a cat
would help a bird.